Saturday, December 31, 2011

Paint Storage

I hadn't thought of posting something as basic as this, but several people have commented on the paint storage system I use in my studio, and since I haven't seen it anywhere else I thought people might find it useful. Basically, I just got tired of having my paint tubes festering in drawers, getting gummy from leaking oil and impossible to find when I needed them. The "system" such as it is, is just hanging the tubes up on readily-available "handbag clips" (technically "Binder Clips" so you can Google them) so you can see all the tubes at once and tell what's there.I have a couple of them--one a shallow box, and the other just a board with nails to hang the tubes from. I attached a couple of picture hangers to make it possible to hang the boards and reposition them if necessary, although I suppose you could just screw the things into the wall (or just drive nails onto the wall if your landlord is a tolerant type). As you can see the method is cheap, easy, and really adaptable. The clips come in several sizes for different paint tube sizes, and it's easy to use the tubes while they're attached. Hope this is useful!

12 comments:

  1. oooooo I might try this with my watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really clever. I built one and it's working great. I posted about it on my blog here http://msterbenz.blogspot.com/2012/02/storing-tubes-of-paint.html Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! That's incredibly cool, and I'm glad to have helped. And thanks for the shout-out, as well. I notice, though, that yours are considerably better-built than mine....Oh, for carpentry skills...

      Delete
  3. Awesome! This would make it so much easier than making my kiddo lug the heavy "tool box" of paints around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this on pinterest. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You realize that this also solves the problem of oil separation...preventing that nasty mess of having a tablespoon of oil squirting out onto your palette before the paint comes out. The oil rises to the 'top', n this case the upside down bottom of the tube. Great paint storage solution. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your idea so much that I made one myself! http://whynoteight.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/paint-board-with-chalk-lettering/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I have an old homemade thread hanger that looks the same. I think I know how I will repurpose it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The simple things are so often the best and thanks for posting. I'm doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent idea ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete